How to elevate your elevator pitch
“So, what do you do?” The window of time to answer this million-dollar question is only small. It is the first impression you make on your potential clients and customers, so it is important to make your response – your ‘elevator pitch’ pitch perfect!
A clear, concise and confident elevator pitch will clarify your offering and improve the way you communicate it to others.
Whether you’re starting a business, going for a new job or re-energising your role in your current business or organisation,
creating an impressive elevator pitch will grab the attention of your target audience and enable you to persuade and influence them.
Before you get started, you need to have a full understanding of your role, your offering/USP, your target audience, why you do what you do, your goals and vision.
What makes a good elevator pitch?
- Knowing what problem your product or service solves.
- Provide a solution – how can you help make things better, easier or more cost effective? Explain how people can engage with you.
- A strong hook – to grab people’s attention and make them want to find out more. Using a statistic or rhetorical question can be very effective.
- Easy to understand language – no acronyms or industry speak.
- Use and maintain good eye contact to keep people engaged and show your confidence. Create eye contact with all the people you are talking to.
- Open and confident body language. Remember to smile!
- Keep it brief – you want to be remembered! Make sure it is easy to deliver and engaging to hear. It should contain about 150 words a minute.
Practice makes perfect! Practice, practice, practice! Watch yourself in a mirror or better still video yourself. Write down the changes you want to make. Keep refining.
Try it out! When you feel ready, deliver your elevator pitch to family and friends and ask them for constructive feedback.
You’re ready to get your pitch out there – at a networking event, conference, your website, social media profiles or even in the elevator where that person you’ve been trying to connect with might just be standing!
My networking and coaching events
I run monthly networking and coaching events on different business topics for small businesses and self-employed people (and aspiring) in Brighton and Hove. These popular, friendly and supportive events provide monthly ‘check-up’ opportunities to further your business/career development, focus on your CPD and grow your network.
October’s networking and coaching event
‘Elevate Your Elevator Pitch’ is on Thursday, 18th October, 10am-12pm at Six in Hove.
You will receive group coaching from me to create and deliver an engaging and confident elevator pitch, to use when introducing yourself, for your website and social media platforms. You will be able to network and make connections with other small businesses in Brighton and Hove in a friendly and supportive environment.
For more details and to book your place: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/networking-coaching-elevate-your-elevator-pitch-tickets-49513352771