How to improve setting professional goals in 2019
As we welcome in 2019 and make our New Year’s Resolutions, our minds will invariably turn to what we want to achieve in our professional lives.
Knowing how or where to start setting professional goals can sometimes feel overwhelming. To help break this down into manageable chunks, it can be helpful to categorise your goals under different areas relating to your career or business.
Examples of different types of goals:
- Business or career goals
- Brand goals
- Customer/client goals
- Product goals
- Marketing goals
- Digital goals
- Financial goals
To make goal setting for your career or business more achievable, I have identified my
5 top tips to help you set professional goals:
1) Set SMART goals These are goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound.
2) Prioritise Break down your goals into the ones with the highest sense of urgency. This can reduce the feeling of overwhelm and will help to direct your attention to the most important goals.
3) Write your goals down The physical act of writing down goals makes them more real and increases the chance of you achieving them! Store them in a place where you can often refer to them.
4) Make an action plan This step is often missed out in the process of goal setting. People tend to focus on the outcomes, so they forget to plan the steps that are needed along the way. Try and pair each goal with an action and a date to achieve it.
5) Review your goals Make time to measure and review your goals. Remember your goals aren’t set in stone so they can change as your circumstances change.
Imagining the time when you have achieved your goals. Really explore how it will feel & look like. Hold onto these images and feelings to keep you motivated and don’t forget to reward yourself when you achieve your goals. Good luck!
If you think coaching would be beneficial to help you set achievable goals for your career or business and create an action plan to achieve them, please get in touch to arrange your free consultation.
If you’re keen to set motivating and achievable goals to move your business forward, create a strong business profile and spread the word about your business in a friendly and relaxed environment – come along to January’s networking and coaching events – in both Brighton and Hove.
January’s Networking & Coaching Events
Goal Setting for Your Business in 2019:
Tuesday, 15thJanuary, 10am-12pm
Brighton Beach Club
Raising Your Business Profile in 2019:
Thursday, 31st January, 10am-12pm
La Piazza, Hove.